Pages

Sep 30, 2013

31 Days of Enjoying My Kid


I love my kids to the moon and back.  I swear it on my LIFE.  But some days I forget to like them.  Does that sound terrible?  Aren’t I supposed to like them just because they are fabulous little human beings and I’m supposed to be ever positive and supportive all the time always?  I feel guilty for saying it, I really do, but it’s just... kids are kids; and I’m not a kid.  Fart jokes and silly voices just don’t really do it for me any more.  And I get so busy focusing on the need-to’s, need to get dinner started, need to get that laundry switched, need to water that plant, the kids need to do their homework, need to do their 20 minutes of reading, need to finish their chores, etc etc, I forget to enjoy the people in my home.  When I’m tired and busy and the kids are supposed to be working on homework and instead they’re joking around in some loud obnoxious voice, I just get frustrated and annoyed.  This time in our lives together can be challenging and exhausting and sometimes I EAGERLY look forward to the day Mister turns 18, but most nights, after the kids have gone to bed, I realize that something good is happening here.  I’m afraid of getting to the day when they’ve all moved out and looking back and feeling like I missed it, like I was looking the wrong way the whole time, like I wasn’t paying attention.

I can’t stop caring about homework and making dinner.  I can’t stop doing all of these things that we do because we do them for a reason.  I can change my mind set a little though.  I've decided to participate in The Nester's 31 Day Challenge.  Every day I’m going to search for the things I like about my kids.  I’m going to enjoy one of them, two of them, or all of them, at least for a little while each day.  Sometimes it might just be something quirky they say that makes me laugh, and sometimes maybe it will be a special thing we do together to cultivate an interest we both share.  There are things about my kids that I absolutely like, and things that we love to do together.  This challenge will be about remembering to incorporate those things into our lives EVERY DAY by simply shifting my perspective a little.  And every day, I'll write a little about it here.  I think it’s going to be great for us.  Welcome to


No comments:

Post a Comment